Welcome to Dr. Ellouise's Blog About Being Healthy Even If You're Poor!

Because of the comments people have made about the URL of this site, I have moved it to one that is less offensive. The new site is: http://www.notwealthybuthealthy.blogspot.com

This site will remain so you can get the old recipes, but the new site will be used from now on.

Today is Thanksgiving, have a wonderful one with lots of family, friends, food and FUN!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dr. Ellouise's Famous Home Fries

Each week, at the Food Bank, I get potatoes, onions, carrots and celery.  When I owned my school, one of the favorite breakfasts was my Home Fries and so I decided to use my Food Bank items to make Home Fries for my friends who were coming for lunch.  Here it is (remember you can adjust it according to what you have or what you got at the Food Bank):

I have an 12X21 stainless baking pan which I use.  I fill it to the top with potatoes (diced small) and then add the other ingredients on top.  The volume cooks down.  All of my veggies are wash with Fruit and Vegetable Rinse before I use them.  I don't peel the potatoes and carrots because so many vitamins are hiding just under the skin.  Left overs can be frozen and then added to potato soup or split pea soup.

Potatoes (not peeled, diced small) 
Carrots (not peeled, diced small)
Celery (diced)
Butternut squash (peeled and diced small)
Zuchhini (diced small)
Bell peppers (whatever color you like or whatever color you got at the Food Bank)
Pepper to taste
Basil to taste
Non-MSG Seasoned Salt - I like Lawry's the best
Parsley

Diced the potatoes first and put into the pan.  Fill all the way to the top of the pan.  Dice and add the rest of the ingredients on top.  Don't worry about how high it gets, it will cook down after a short while.  Add seasonings on top of the ingredients.  Drizzle olive oil on top of everything (sometimes, it's too dry after baking for a while and so I add a bit more olive oil).

Bake in 450 oven, gently turning occasionally.  Try to turn it like hash browns, without making it all smashed, one spatula at a time.

Serve with catsup or salsa on the side.

Leftovers can be frozen and then added to soups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment