Welcome to Dr. Ellouise's Blog About Being Healthy Even If You're Poor!

Because of the comments people have made about the URL of this site, I have moved it to one that is less offensive. The new site is: http://www.notwealthybuthealthy.blogspot.com

This site will remain so you can get the old recipes, but the new site will be used from now on.

Today is Thanksgiving, have a wonderful one with lots of family, friends, food and FUN!

Friday, October 7, 2011

Food Bank Soup

When going to the Food Bank, the fresh veggies are usually on their last legs.  So, the trick is to see what you have, figure out what to do with it and get it cooked up right away. 

I went to the food bank and this is what I got:
Wax beans, rice, white beans, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions and canned corn.  I washed the wax beans, carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms. I cut the veggies into small pieces.  I used a large pot with water and vegetable boullion, brought it to a boil and then added the rice.  After a few minutes, I added the veggies and cooked until they were slightly cooked. 

I let the soup cool and then put the soup into individual containers and into the freezer.  I labeled it with the name and date.  It made enough for about 15 meals.  By freezing it, I was able to take one out at a time and, therefore, had varied meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment